I gave up on Sound Juicer. Despite it’s funky logo and the ease and accuracy with which it detected the CD information, I eventually got it to rip songs so that Rhythmbox could import them but the files didn’t have the ID3 data (title, artist etc). So I used Grip. Grip is highly customisable and it works well. It was slower than Sound Juicer but no one really rips CDs when they’re in a hurry anyway. Like most ripping software, Grip only has one entry for the artist of the album so it’s a bit of a pain for compilation CDs. What excited me about Sound Juicer was that it had an artist for each song – not that much help if the info isn’t even coded into the file. Luckily Rhythmbox has a really easy and convenient file editing thing, you can do batch edits of the common info like album name and then you can change individual track titles and artist names and click next for the next track info, you don’t have to close -> right click -> info every time. How conweenient!
It seems Rhythmbox, and possibly all of the programs that claim to handle iPods on Linux, don’t delete files properly from my nano. So they become hidden files of some kind and use up the space but don’t register as actually being there. I freaked out a bit when that happened to me last night, I couldn’t copy anything new onto it. Luckily after plugging and unplugging and installing another program (none of those things helped) I realised what was happening (I’ve been getting used to the idea of hidden files recently), I found these pesky files and deleted them. Now I have my new albums and some other stuff on my iPod and I know what to do if I have a storage crisis again. 🙂