I don’t know if everyone does this total nerd out when they get an iPod Touch or an iPhone, but I did. I went looking for the best free apps I could get before I paid for any. Here’re my favourites for whoever is looking next.
These are all the apps and bookmarks I have on my phone at the moment. I haven’t used them all yet, but some of them are really cool. The only one I’ve paid for is Fieldrunners, the rest are free.
Yep, I even made a bookmark of my site on the third page there, just to see how the icon works. I’d say it works well.
My favourites are:
- Sudoku — 10 puzzles for each of the four difficulty levels and the levels are good difficulties, the interface is very nice and it as a very nifty note feature.
- Fieldrunners — this game is totally addictive and the graphics are way cool.
- Calendar — okay, so this one comes with the phone, but with Google Sync Beta it is excellent.
- Files Lite
- Backgammon — this works really well and is so nicely made, I just wish the computer brain had better tactics; even the hardest level (which was only introduced with the most recent version) is a push over.
- Facebook — using this app is so much nicer than using the web interface. I use it pretty mch exclusively to check Facebook now.
- Twitterfon — apparently Tweetie is the best Twitter app for the iPhone, but I’m still on my computer most of the time, so Twitterfon seems like a good free choice.
- Shop Shop — I used it yesterday for my shopping list and then I looked up the recipe in Safari while cooking. Totally good.
- WordPress — the WordPress iPhone app works really well and even has some offline writing, if like me you’ve got the iPod, so not always connected.
- Drinks Free — very cute for a quick cocktail guide.
— more than half the reason I bought a Touch is to read eBooks. Files Lite makes that possible by allowing you to copy lots of document files types onto the iPod and read them, it remembers the page you’re on too!
The rest of the games are pretty great. My least favourites are Action Bowling Free —
it’s really just a preview of how well the game works, you need to buy it to get much action — and iHearts, which works, but is not too stimulating.
What are your favourite apps?