On Thursday, 28 September 2017, we saw Postmodern Jukebox perform at the Sydney Opera House.
The full cast included:
- Adam Kubota: musical director & bass
- Chloe Feoranzo: woodwind & lead vocal
- Dave Tedeschi: drums
- Hannah Gill: lead & backup vocals
- LaVance Colley: MC, lead & backup vocals
- Logan Evan Thomas: keys
- Nick Finzer: brass
- Sara Niemietz: lead & backup vocals
- Sarah Reich: dancer (tap and other)
- Maiya Sykes: lead & backup vocals
- Von Smith: lead & backup vocals
Spectacular entertainers all!
The setlist (as best as I can remember it) was:
- Call Me Maybe; Von Smith
- I Will Survive; Sara Niemietz
- Somebody That I Used To Know; Hannah Gill
- I’m Not The Only One; Maiya Sykes
- Bye, Bye, Bye; Sara, Maiya, Hannah
- That’s What I Like; LaVance Colley
- Rude; Von, Maiya, Sara
- Hey Ya; Sara, LaVance, Von
- Ex’s and Ohs’s; Hannah Gill
- Drum/tap-off; Dave & Sarah
- Halo; LaVance Colley
- All About That Bass; Hannah, Maiya, Sara
- No Surprises; Chloe Feoranzo
- Cry Me A River; Von Smith
- Are You Gonna Be My Girl; Hannah Gill
- What Is Love; LaVance, Maiya, Sara
- Love Yourself; Sara Niemietz
- Creep; Maiya Sykes
- Shake It Off; whole cast except LaVance
- ?; whole cast
If you have any corrections, let me know! I’m fairly sure Shake It Off was the finale, and then there was an encore; I feel like the encore might have been We Can’t Stop, but I’m not sure.
Call Me Maybe was a happy intro; I love Von’s rendition! It was Hannah’s first tour with PMJ and I suspect she was a bit nervous at the start, but her voice came out strong and gorgeous, and by the time she got to Are You Gonna Be My Girl she was AMAZING. Halo, was the highlight of my night! It started off smooth and chilled, with just keys, bass and voice, but it grew in instruments and brilliance. The whole show was completely wonderful.
There’s a succinct and stellar review of the Perth show, which sounds like it was similar to ours, if you want to read more.
Here are some of my favourite photos that I took on the night, and you can check out the full album on Flickr.