I’ve almost finished upgrading to WordPress 2.5!
It’s a pretty exciting upgrade. The admin interface is completely reworked and very pleasant to work with. There’s already a good post, 10 things you need to know about WordPress 2.5, about some of the feature changes.
Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a bulk edit of categories feature, which folks have wanted for a while (and I really want at the moment).
It seems all the plugins I really want are working! I cut a few out that I wasn’t really using. I currently have,
- cformsII for my contact form
- Chunk URLs for WordPress, not essential, but quite nice: it shortens long URLs in comments so that they don’t break the layout
- Custom Smileys
- Enhanced Links for the retractable links list in the sidebar (this will be going soon because I’ll be transferring my blogrolls to a page of their own)
- Executable PHP Widget for using PHP in sidebar widgets
- FeedBurner FeedSmith, which redirects your WordPress feed to your FeedBurner feed (I’ll probably ditch this one eventually when I’m sure everyone’s on the FeedBurner one – I don’t like being dependent on too many plugins)
- Full Text Feed so your RSS feed contains the whole post even when you use the <!–more–> tag
- Google XML Sitemaps
- Simple Tags which extends the tag admin (WordPress’ new admin for inserting tags while writing posts is nice, and you can edit the tags themselves, but not mass edit posts – the main reason I have this plugin)
- Sociable for the little social bookmarking icons
- Spam Karma 2
- Subscribe to Comments, every WP blogger should have this plugin!
- WP Ajax Edit Comments – the page claims this plugin is good up to v2.3.3, but I don’t seem to have a problem with it on 2.5
As far as I know these plugins are working. If you encounter any problems let me know! While the cformsII is working the widget that comes with it isn’t. I think plugin writers will probably want to rethink how they arrange things in the new admin menus too.
The last few times I’ve tried to load a page on my site it hasn’t connected and I’ve had to try again. I seem to have had an increase of traffic from StumbleUpon (Hi guys!). I hope that it’s traffic causing it to short and not WP 2.5 being too heavy on the server!
The automatic plugin upgrade is not working. There are some scary looking errors when I try to use it. Perhaps just a permissions problem. Blog.SpoonGraphics didn’t have a problem with that feature (also go to that link for some handy info!).