I haven’t seen much in the way of GIMP tutorial sites that I really like; except for Meet the GIMP, but video tutorials are different in my mind.
Before I go and jump into a huge project like that I wanted to have a look at what was out there. When I say “Top GIMP tutorial sites” I don’t mean that these are sites that I endorse or recommend (although I might when I get to know them better), it actually means these are the top search results (with my first impressions of them).
- Official GIMP website lists some tutorials, but I don’t think it gets updated very often.
- GIMP Tutorials is not particularly pretty, but it does seem to have fairly navigable features (sorting tutes chronologically, most viewed and most rated) as well as having a reasonable category system.
- gimp-tutorials.net is definitely my favourite to look at – that logo is cute! The whole thing is pretty easy to navigate; good categories. They even have some interpretations of photoshop tutorials for GIMP (something I really like doing).
- Gimp User Group has a tutorials page. No idea how often it’s updated. The layout for the tutorials is okay, some weird things happening with borders in my browser, but nothing disastrous.
- GIMP Talk Community has a page with a list of tutorials. It doesn’t excite me: the page only loads every second time that I try to load it and who really wants to read through long lists of titles? They might be great tutorials, but not very navigable.
- GIMPguru.org could probably do with a better site design – some elements that should be more weighty (like the titles next to the images) just aren’t. However, I have used tutorials on this site and found it to be really good. Perhaps with a revamp this would be a really great site.
- Gimpology is the second prettiest site I came across. The list of tutorials have thumbnails and the titles are easy to read. The categories could be a bit more categorical though… “article” what’s that? The site is basically a round up of tutorials on other sites, so it doesn’t control the end experience.
So, it seems like there are quite a few tutorial sites, but they could be better. The question then becomes, do I try to do better or do I get involved with other sites to improve them (or hope that my contributions/suggestions help)?
What do you think? Would you be interested in being involved with a new GIMP tutorial site?