Thirteen of my all time favourite songs.
1. Worlds Apart by Jars of Clay – when I first heard it I had the words “Did you really have to die for me?” ringing in my head, eventually I bought the CD and I just love the song. I used the lyrics as texture in the background of my year 11 artwork.
2. The Very Thought of You by Billie Holiday (obviously also sung by others over the years) – I first heard this song on the movie Forever Young, I thought it was great and scoured CD stores for it. My dad and I bought about five Billie Holiday CDs and never found it. Years later I saw a Billie Holiday CD for $2 so I bought it and the song just happened to be on it! I also sent the sheet music to someone on Valentine’s Day one year although this song was a second choice for that, They Can’t Take That Away From Me was much more suitable for him (he doesn’t drink tea though, I would have changed that word to beer, and he sings very well so instead of “off key” it might have been “in harmony”).
3. O Holy Night – okay so this isn’t one of my very top songs in general but it is definitely my most favoured Christmas carol. It gets me every time when the music builds up and they sing “fall on your knees, oh hear the angel voices…”
4. Shimmer by Fuel – I don’t know what it was about this song, maybe the singers voice or the guitars, I just loved it from first listen. My friend Scott and I used to sing it at school and at my 18th birthday party he brought his guitar and sang it for me as a surprise 😀 It’s a bit of a sad song but it reminds us of happy times.
5. Without You by MXPX – hubby wrote these lyrics out for me in a letter when we were dating. It was all very sweet. He said to me the other day “you’re the threadwork to my seams”, it’s nice to hear that kind of thing every now and again. :heart:
6. Another First Kiss by They Might Be Giants – we had this as our first dance song at our wedding. It was the coolest!
7. Angel by Sarah McLachlan – it’s just a pretty song and Sarah is awesome.
8. Always by Bon Jovi – when we were kids my cousin said to me “Do you want me to teach you a rock song?” this is the one she taught me and we used to sing it together when we stayed at each other’s houses in the holidays.
9. Wild Horses by The Sundays (Rolling Stones are good too but I like this version) – plays in The Prom, season three of Buffy. Need I say more?
10. Miserere – my friends were in a choir that sang this in one of their performances. It was beautiful, I think I shed tears.
11. On Christ The Solid Rock I Stand – does it have a shorter name? Yes, apparently My Hope Is Built or The Solid Rock. It’s one of my favourite church songs, we had it at our wedding.
12. Could I Be You by Matchbox 20 – how could I forget this one? I just love it, in the same way as Shimmer.
13. Long Day by Matchbox 20 – the part building up to the chorus “Oh god I shouldn’t feel this way now…” it’s good.
Put your Thursday Thirteen link here.